Home / News / First Team News / 2018 / Central League: AFC Wimbledon 3 FGR 1

Central League: AFC Wimbledon 3 FGR 1

Tuesday 13 March 2018
FGR Media

Under 18s manager Chris Barker

Forest Green Rovers fell to a 3-1 defeat away to AFCWimbledon in the Central League this afternoon.

Richard Pingling gave the hosts the lead in the sixth minute before second-half strikes from Will Nightingale and Valentino Carpene wrapped up the comfortable victory at Kingsmeadow.

There was still time at the end for Sam Hendy to net a late consolation and Under 18s manager Chris Barker is hoping the experience will aid the learning curve of his younger players.

“They had one or two first-team players at the age of 20,21, 22 and we’ve got youngsters at 16 or 17 but that’s the level they have got to be in a year or two,” he said.

“They’ve got to start learning, doing the basic stuff, defending better and taking our chances.

“I think it was 1-0 at half time but we had two or three chances to make it even.

“It was a great finish by Sam for our goal, great build-up by Kieron, Nathan and Sam and that was nice to see but it’s just finishing games off at both ends.

“These games are good for the young lads.

“We’ve got a game on Saturday morning and then another game against Bristol Rovers on Tuesday and hopefully we will continue to learn.”

It took just six minutes for the hosts to grab the initiative as Pingling was played in behind and had the composure to round Sam Russell in the Rovers box and tap home into an empty net.

Just three minutes later and Wimbledon were able to get in behind again but Russell was off his line well to deny Egli Kaja. The same man was then found in space in the FGR box and Russell tipped a powerful shot over for a corner that came to nothing.

The first chance of note for the visitors came in the 25th minute when Keanu Marsh-Brown brought the ball out well before playing in Kieron Proctor, who slid in Sam Hendy into the box down the right but his shot is wide of the target.

Just two minutes later and Hendy had to be alert at the other end as he was on the line to clear away a Pingling header from a corner that looked destined for the bottom corner.

Wimbledon fired another warning shot just before the break when a free-kick on the halfway line was played across field and Kaja picked it up and with his first touch drove to the edge of the box but fired over the bar.

With FGR beginning to ring the changes in the second half, Wimbledon made their dominance tell on the scoreboard just after the hour mark.

The ball sat up nicely for Nightingale 30 yards out in the 62nd minute and the defender struck his half-volley with control to see the ball nestle in the bottom corner.

The hosts’ lead was further extended three minutes later when the ball was worked out well to Carpene on the right edge of the box and he kepthis composure with time to beat substitute goalkeeper Declan Lehmann across the face of goal.

Forest Green were able to net a late consolation with six minutes left on the clock when the ball was worked out well from left to right before being cut back by Nathan Trueman into the box and Hendy was on hand to run onto it well to finish into the far corner.


Next Match
Last Match
League Table

v Brimscombe & Thrupp (A)

06/07/2018 7:30 pm

Pre-Season Friendly

v Grimsby (H)

Grimsby Town

05/05/2018 3:00 pm

League Two

Match Report
Pos Club P GD PT
13 Crewe 0 0 0
14 Exeter 0 0 0
15 Forest Green 0 0 0
16 Grimsby 0 0 0
17 Lincoln City 0 0 0
Last updated: Thu 21 Jun 2018 10:38 am