Home / Games / Match Reports / First Team / Pre Season / Weston-Super-Mare Away

Forest Green Rovers
Date: 18/07/2017 7:45 pm    Attendance: 200    Venue: Woodspring Stadium

FGR come from behind to win at Weston

Brown slots home for Rovers

Forest Green Rovers continued their unbeaten record in pre-season as they ran out 2-1 victors at Weston Super Mare’s Woodspring Stadium. 

Reece Brown and Shamir Mullings’ second half efforts made the difference for Rovers as both men scored their first goals for the club.

Forest Green dominated the early stages of the game as new signing Luke James fired the first shot of the game narrowly wide.

Omar Bugiel entered the fray after 16 minutes to replace the injured Lee Collins and he would have scored with his first touch but for a smart stop from close range by Weston keeper Luke Purnell.

As Rovers piled on the pressure, Weston started to lookshaky at the back with a lot of nervous individual errors. However, Roversfailed to capitalise despite chances for Bugiel and James.

Just before the half hour mark Weston began to create some chances for themselves as Dayle Grubb fired wide before Triatan Plummer forced a good stop from Chelsea loanee Bradley Collins in the Rovers goal.

Manny Monthe then came to Rovers’ rescue on the half hour mark as Weston spurned three chances in quick succession.

The deadlock was finally broken in the 38thminute as the Seagulls took the lead in unusual circumstances. A diving Bradley Collins could only watch on helplessly as Jerrad Welch’s shot stuck the post, then Collins' back before rolling over the line.

Rovers started the second half quickly with chances falling to Recce Brown and Christian Doidge.

However, Rovers soon found themselves under pressure as half time substitute Sam Russell was called into action twice from both a curling effort and a flying header that looked certain to find the net.

Omar Bugiel was once again denied in the 57th minute as his driving run and shot produced another important stop from Purnell.

But just after the hour mark, Rovers equalised through Reece Brown, who's quick feet in the box made room for a composed finish into the bottom corner.

Rovers continued to press and began to take control of the game’s latter stages as Dan Wishart and Jordan Morris threatened down the left hand side.

And it was Wishart’s cross after a good ball from Charlie Cooper which led to Shamir Mullings’ first goal for the club and the match’s decider.

Match report: Noah Dougherty

Picture: Shane Healey/Pro Sports Images


Next Match
Last Match
League Table

v Mansfield (H)


24/03/2018 3:00 pm

League Two

v Crewe (A)

Crewe Alexandra

20/03/2018 7:45 pm

League Two

Match Report
Pos Club P GD PT
19 Crewe 38 -15 40
20 Port Vale 38 -13 38
21 Forest Green 38 -22 37
22 Grimsby 38 -25 37
23 Chesterfield 36 -28 31
Last updated: Wed 21 Mar 2018 21:59 pm

Vital Statistics

Date 18/07/2017 7:45 pm
Competition Pre-Season Friendly
Home/Away Away
Full Time Result 1 - 2
Half Time Score 0 - 1
Man of the Match Omar Bugiel
Scorers Reece Brown
Shamir Mullings