Home / Games / Match Reports / First Team / Pre Season / Swindon Supermarine Away

Swindon Supermarine
Forest Green Rovers
Date: 31/07/2017 7:30 pm    Venue: Webbswood Stadium

Rovers celebrate big day with a win

Mullings celebrates his second of the game

A Christian Doidge header and a second half brace from Shamir Mullings sealed victory over nearby Swindon Supermarine.

The opening minutes were a cagey affair with neither team creating chances. Doidge went down under a heavy challenge in the box after he was played over the top by Liam Noble, but nothing came from it.

Supermarine started to push up the pitch as they created half chances here and there. And it was the Southern League side who made the breakthrough as Charlie Cooper was caught napping. George Kellow was first to react and as he played in TJ Bohane, the big striker’s quick feet drew a challenge from Rover’s goalkeeper Brad Collins. Diving at Bohane’s feet he fouled the attacker giving the referee no choice but to point to the spot.

The Rover’s keeper saved Brad Hooper’s weak penalty diving low to his right but the midfielder pounced on the rebound and tucked it home to make it1-0.

The Swindon side continued to press after the goal and nippy winger Joe Selman found himself rushing towards goal but Manny Monthe remained composed to win back the ball in a dangerous area.

Just before the half hour mark, Rovers began to dominate, keeping hold of the ball in the final third. Lee Collins’ quick feet on the edge of the box fashioned the first chance for FGR but his effort flew just passed the top corner.

Lee Collins was again amongst the action as he played a deep cross to the back post in search of Liam Noble. The Rovers’ skipper’s header was perfectly placed for Christian Doidge who couldn’t miss as he nodded home from 6 yards to equalise.

Both sides continued to create chances and TJ Bohane was unlucky to see his shot flash wide of Brad Collins’ post. Bohane almost found the net moments later but he again fired wide after a scramble in the Rovers’ box. 

Bristol City youngster George Kellow was once more amongst the action for Supermarine but his shot also flew past the post just before half time.

Three minutes after the break, substitute Shamir Mullings brought the ball down on his chest, rounded the keeper and tapped into the empty net to give Forest Green the lead.

At the other end, substitute Sam Russell was called into action has he spread himself well to prevent Sam Morris. Morris was again denied just moments later as Russel pulled off a spectacular save diving low to his right.

On the 70th minute, Shamir Mullings completed his first brace for the club, flicking the ball over his defender before slotting the ball calmly into the bottom corner.

Late substitute Jordan Morris was played through after a one-two with Keanu Marsh-Brown but the academy product couldn’t beat the keeper.

Report: Noah Dougherty

Photo: Shane Healey/Pro Sport Images


Next Match
Last Match
League Table

v Mansfield (H)


24/03/2018 3:00 pm

League Two

v Crewe (A)

Crewe Alexandra

20/03/2018 7:45 pm

League Two

Match Report
Pos Club P GD PT
19 Crewe 38 -15 40
20 Port Vale 38 -13 38
21 Forest Green 38 -22 37
22 Grimsby 38 -25 37
23 Chesterfield 36 -28 31
Last updated: Wed 21 Mar 2018 21:59 pm

Vital Statistics

Date 31/07/2017 7:30 pm
Competition Pre-Season Friendly
Home/Away Away
Full Time Result 1 - 3
Half Time Score 1 - 1
Man of the Match Shamir Mullings
Scorers Christian Doidge
Shamir Mullings (2)
Referee Dan Lamport