Home / Games / Match Reports / First Team / 2017/18 / Yeovil Home

Forest Green Rovers
Forest Green Rovers
Date: 19/08/2017 3:00 pm    Attendance: 2615    Venue: The New Lawn

Forest Green comeback to win seven goal thriller at The New Lawn

Photo: Shane Healey/Pro Sport Images

Second half goals from Charlie Cooper and Omar Bugiel delivered a stunning comeback from 3-2 down as FGR claimed their first Football League win.

The game started quickly and after just eight minutes, Rovers found themselves behind. A short Yeovil corner, followed by a deep cross caused a scramble in the box before the ball landed at Olofela Olomala’s feet and he lashed home.

Rovers had their first chance through Dale Bennett as the defender hit a bouncing ball on the edge of the Yeovil box, but his vicious effort flew wide of the post.

Moments later Otis Khan cut inside from the Yeovil left and drove into the box, before being tripped and winning a penalty just inside the 18 yard box. Khan, formerly of Manchester United, made no mistake from the spot as he sent Brad Collins the wrong way to double the away sides advantage.

Scott Laird’s excellent deep free kick almost found Christian Doidge’s outstretched leg and shortly after, Luke James’ flicked header found Liam Noble and the skipper’s volley was powerful, on target but unable to beat the keeper.

22 minutes in, a brilliant run from Lee Collins through the middle of the park put Yeovil on the back foot before Dale Bennett’s inch perfect cross found Christian Doidge who couldn’t miss his header from 5 yards to narrow the lead.

An equaliser seemed on the cards as Dale Bennett was again the provider as he directed an excellent cross towards Luke James but the striker’s header bounced just wide.

Otis Khan continued to cause danger as he cut in from the left. This time, his cross found Francois Zoko at the back post who finished with his head from 3 yards after 34 minutes to extend Yeovil's lead again.

Reece Brown started to grow into the game for Rovers and he turned his man inside out before rocketing an effort on to the inside of the post from outside the box.

The former Birmingham midfielder then took command of a free kick situation on the edge of the box and the youngster didn’t disappoint as he whipped the ball into the top left hand corner.

Unlike the previous two encounters, it was Rovers who came flying out of the traps after the break as they looked to drag themselves back into the clash.

The equaliser deservedly came just three minutes into the half as Charlie Cooper fired a low shot from outside the box and it squirmed through Arthur Krysiak’s grasp into the goal.

Forest Green continued to pile on the pressure with Liam Noble delivering a good cross but Christian Doidge couldn’t beat his marker to the ball.

The home side took the lead for the first time in the game as Omar Bugiel put his body on the line with 10 minutes left on the clock. The Lebanese international rose highest to a deflected shot and he nodded over a rushing Arthur Krysiak before taking a heavy blow from the flying goalkeeper.

After 6 agonising added minutes, the final whistle signalled the end of an incredible game of football and a dramatic first win for Forest Green Rovers in the Football League.

Report: Noah Dougherty

Photo: Shane Healey/Pro Sport Images


Next Match
Last Match
League Table

v Brimscombe & Thrupp (A)

06/07/2018 7:30 pm

Pre-Season Friendly

v Grimsby (H)

Grimsby Town

05/05/2018 3:00 pm

League Two

Match Report
Pos Club P GD PT
13 Crewe 0 0 0
14 Exeter 0 0 0
15 Forest Green 0 0 0
16 Grimsby 0 0 0
17 Lincoln City 0 0 0
Last updated: Thu 21 Jun 2018 10:38 am

Vital Statistics

Date 19/08/2017 3:00 pm
Competition League Two
Home/Away Home
Full Time Result 4 - 3
Half Time Score 2 - 3
Man of the Match
Scorers Charlie Cooper
Reece Brown
Christian Doidge
Omar Bugiel
Referee David Webb

Team Sheet

Forest Green Rovers