Home / Games / Match Reports / First Team / 2017/18 / Swindon Away

Forest Green Rovers
Forest Green Rovers
Date: 13/01/2018 3:00 pm    Attendance: 7062    Venue: The County Ground

Match Report: Swindon take the spoils

Christian Doidge

Forest Green will feel hard done by as they fell to a defeat at the hands of Swindon.

Luke Norris struck with 11 minutes to play at The County Ground and FGR couldn't, despite a late penalty shout, find a way back into the match.

Mark Cooper made two changes to the side that beat Port Vale in the last league outing, Dayle Grubb coming in for his first league start in place of Reece Brown and new signing Haydn Hollis coming in for his first appearance in place of Scott Laird.

Dan Wishart’s driving run down the left after five minutes forced the first corner of the game but FGR couldn’t create anything from it.

Neither side were able to create anything more in a scrappy opening 10 minutes, Kaiyne Woolery’s eighth-minute breakaway being the only half chance.

Brad Collins was then forced in to an unbelievable save after 20 minutes as Swindon squandered the best chance of the opening half hour. Woolery’s square ball set up Keshi Anderson but the midfieder’s powerful effort from the edge of the box was well saved by the Rovers stopper.

On his first football league start, Grubb was dominating the midfield, his driving run and shot after 21 minutes almost opening up an opportunity for the visitors but his shot was charged down on the edge of the area.

However, things took turn for the worse for FGR after 22 minutes as Farrend Rawson was knocked unconscious after an aerial battle on the right-hand side.

After the prolonged injury break, the hosts grew into the game after the injury to Rawson but couldn’t create any clear cut chances until first half stoppage time as Brad Collins produced another great save, flinging himself across the goal to push Anderson’s second effort of the game clear of the goal.

Christian Doidge had a chance for the visitors after 53 minutes as he, after a spell of Forest Green possession, picked up Lee Collins cross at the back post before firing straight at Reice Charles-Cook.

Moments later Doidge had a strong case for a penalty denied as the ball bounced through to him and he was halted in clumsy fashion by Chris Robertson.

As the game progressed past the hour mark it opened up a bit with both teams looking like they could score and Reuben Reid almost did moments later. Dayle Grubb picked the ball up on the edge of the area and threaded it through to the big striker but Reid couldn’t get his shot away.

With 78 minutes on the clock, the deadlock was finally broken. Anderson let fly from the corner of the box and, although Brad Collins produced the initial save, Luke Norris was on hand to stab the ball home in the midst of a goal-mouth scramble.

Doidge had another clear shout for a penalty after 87 minutes as he drove into the box and was brought down. The referee however, waved play on.

Report: Noah Dougherty

Image; Shane Healey/Pro Sports Images


Next Match
Last Match
League Table

v Brimscombe & Thrupp (A)

06/07/2018 7:30 pm

Pre-Season Friendly

v Grimsby (H)

Grimsby Town

05/05/2018 3:00 pm

League Two

Match Report
Pos Club P GD PT
13 Crewe 0 0 0
14 Exeter 0 0 0
15 Forest Green 0 0 0
16 Grimsby 0 0 0
17 Lincoln City 0 0 0
Last updated: Thu 21 Jun 2018 10:38 am

Vital Statistics

Date 13/01/2018 3:00 pm
Competition League Two
Home/Away Away
Full Time Result 1 - 0
Half Time Score 0 - 0
Man of the Match
Referee Dean Whitestone

Team Sheet

Forest Green Rovers
Player Goal (min) Sub Off
Farrend Rawson
Gavin Gunning
Yellow Card
Haydn Hollis
Dayle Grubb
Yellow Card
17 Yellow Card 87
Reuben Reid
Yellow Card
Subs Goal (min) Subbed
3 27
7 73
Alex Whittle
Lewis Spurrier