Home / Games / Match Reports / First Team / 2017/18 / Stevenage Away

Forest Green Rovers
Forest Green Rovers
Date: 21/10/2017 3:00 pm    Attendance: 2099    Venue: The Lamex Stadium

FGR win from behind at Stevenage

Christian Doidge celebrates with the fans

Forest Green win their second match on the bounce as goalsfrom Reece Brown and Christian Doidge secure a second half comeback.

Matt Godden broke the deadlock on the stroke of half timebut a Reece Brown free kick and a Christian Doidge header sealed anotherimportant fin for FGR.

With Charlie Cooper ruled out for at least six weeks with a knee injury sustained at Coventry City, Mark Cooper brought Reece Brown into the centre of midfield. Alex Iacovitti was also reinstated to the first team,replacing Toni Gomes as FGR shifted to a back three.

Last Tuesday’s goal scorer Keanu Marsh-Brown looked to be in fine form and after only 10 minutes, he let fly from 30 yards, forcing the first save of the game from Stevenage stopper Joe Fryer who tipped the ball around the post well.

From the resulting corner, Jack Fitzwater almost scored his first goal for Rovers. A ‘training ground set-piece’ found Fitzwater on the edge of the box, but the young defender couldn’t direct his shot on target.

Marsh-Brown, with a swirling wind behind him, almost found the net again minutes later. This time he cut in from the left and his curling effort flashed wide of the post.

Brown had FGR’s next chance just after half an hour as, in unlikely circumstances, he rose highest in the box but was unable to direct his header on target.

Against the run of play, Stevenage took the lead with just two minutes of the half to play. Matt Godden was played in over the top and he had all the time in the world to place his shot into the bottom left hand corner, leaving Brad Collins with no chance.

Collins was alert early on in the second half as he stooped low to deny Joe Martin from range.

Forest Green almost found themselves two down after 53 minutes as a Stevenage corner was cleared off the line. The chance sparked the visitors into life and after a good spell on the edge of the Stevenage box, Marsh-Brown fired wide.

The FGR pressure continued and just after the hour mark they got their reward. Christian Doidge was brought down on the edge of the box and Reece Brown stroked the resulting free kick under the wall into the bottom corner.

Both sides looked like they could take the lead and after 74 minutes, Forest Green did exactly that. In typical fashion, Drissa Traore twisted and turned deep inside the FGR half and soon set up an attack. After some patient build up play, the ball found Marsh-Brown on the right and his inch perfect cross found Doidge who powered his header into the bottom corner.

Stevenage almost levelled at the death but Collins produced a superb save from close range to keep FGR in the lead.

Report: Noah Dougherty

Image: Adam Rivers/Pro Sports Images


Next Match
Last Match
League Table

There are no upcoming matches left in this season, but you can still see our previous results.

Results & Fixtures

v Grimsby (H)

Grimsby Town

05/05/2018 3:00 pm

League Two

Match Report
Pos Club P GD PT
19 Yeovil 46 -16 48
20 Port Vale 46 -18 47
21 Forest Green 46 -23 47
22 Morecambe 46 -15 46
23 Barnet 46 -19 46
Last updated: Sat 05 May 2018 17:00 pm

Vital Statistics

Date 21/10/2017 3:00 pm
Competition League Two
Home/Away Away
Full Time Result 1 - 2
Half Time Score 1 - 0
Man of the Match Reece Brown
Scorers Reece Brown
Christian Doidge