Home / Games / Match Reports / First Team / 2017/18 / Port Vale Home

Forest Green Rovers
Forest Green Rovers
Port Vale
Port Vale
Date: 06/01/2018 3:00 pm    Attendance: 2437    Venue: The New Lawn

Match Report: Reid wins it for Rovers

The players celebrate Reid's strike

Reid rocket secures important win for Rovers.

Debutant Reuben Reid's 61st minute strike was enough for Forest Green to claim all three points and climb out of the relegation zone.

Mark Cooper started the game with three of his five new signings in the starting 11. Reid, Gavin Gunning and Farrend Rawson all started while Alex Whittle and Dayle Grubb took their places on the bench for the first time.

Reid started brightly, forcing an FGR corner down the right hand side after just two minutes.

Ben Whitfield then let fly from 35 yards at the other end but his effort was miss hit and didn’t trouble Brad Collins.

Dan Wishart then when close with 16 minutes on the clock as he was played down the left by Reid. However, the left back couldn’t beat the keeper from a tight angle.

Forest Green continued to find space down the left as Wishart again got forward, this time his low cross was forced behind by Danny Pugh at the back post.

Reid continued to have some luck down the left-hand side winning another corner after 20 minutes but Christian Doidge couldn’t direct his back-post header on target.

With five minutes played in the second half, Reece Brown let fly from the edge of the area, his left footed shot flying narrowly over the crossbar.

The hosts began to dominate proceedings and Wishart almost created another chance as he got down the left. This time his cross was very good but Doidge was beaten to the ball by a sliding Vale defender.

Reid then went close after 58 minutes as he directed Manny Monthe’s cross towards goal but his header flew inches wide.

With 61 minutes on the clock, FGR finally made the breakthrough. Reid picked the ball up 25 yards from goal and thundered a sensational left footed effort into the top corner.

The FGR barrage continued and Doidge almost doubled their advantage with 15 minutes to play as he headed Rawson’s cross inches wide.

Port Vale tried to find a late equaliser but the FGR defence held on for a great result.


Next Match
Last Match
League Table

v Brimscombe & Thrupp (A)

06/07/2018 7:30 pm

Pre-Season Friendly

v Grimsby (H)

Grimsby Town

05/05/2018 3:00 pm

League Two

Match Report
Pos Club P GD PT
13 Crewe 0 0 0
14 Exeter 0 0 0
15 Forest Green 0 0 0
16 Grimsby 0 0 0
17 Lincoln City 0 0 0
Last updated: Thu 21 Jun 2018 10:38 am

Vital Statistics

Date 06/01/2018 3:00 pm
Competition League Two
Home/Away Home
Full Time Result 1 - 0
Half Time Score 0 - 0
Man of the Match
Scorers Reuben Reid
Referee Keith Stroud

Team Sheet

Forest Green Rovers
Port Vale
Player Goal (min) Sub Off
Gavin Gunning
Farrend Rawson
10 61
Reuben Reid
Subs Goal (min) Subbed
Alex Whittle
Dayle Grubb