Home / Games / Match Reports / First Team / 2017/18 / Notts County Away

Notts County
Notts County
Forest Green Rovers
Forest Green Rovers
Date: 07/10/2017 3:00 pm    Attendance: 13267    Venue: Meadow Lane

Rovers pegged back at the death

Omar Bugiel celebrates his goal

Forest Green Rovers were denied their first League Two victory on the road in the cruellest of circumstances as Rob Milsom struck late to cancel out Omar Bugiel’s first-half strike.

Bugiel, who recently turned down international duty with Lebanon to play in this afternoon’s game, broke the deadlock after 26 minutes as he slid home from Christian Doidge’s cross.

Milsom then nodded home from the edge of the six-yard-box with mere seconds left to play at Meadow Lane to leave the travelling team and supporters feeling deflated at the final whistle despite the impressive result.

Reece Brown was ruled out with illness on the morning of the game, leading to Omar Bugiel being called up to fill the role at the top of the diamond. Lee Collins was also brought in to replace Jack Fitzwater. The rest of the side remained unchanged from the victory at Cheltenham in the week.

Both sides had set-pieces early on, with Drissa Traore and Richard Duffy both going into the book, but neither side were able to test the goalkeepers.

Top of the league Notts County started brightly, as expected. However, Rovers stayed firm at the back and defended well for the opening 20 minutes.

Rover almost gifted county a goal after 23 minutes as Mark Roberts’ headed back-pass caught Sam Russell off guard and rolled inches wide of the post.

Twenty-six-minutes in FGR took the lead. Christian Doidge drove down the left and his low ball across the area found Omar Bugiel who slid the ball into the empty net, opening the scoring for the first league game this season.

Dale Bennett then kept the score level a few minutes later as he produced an excellent challenge on Jon Stead.

At the other end, Bennett, in 35th, crossed towards Luke James. The striker’s flicked header almost beating Adam Collin in the County goal.

As half time approached, FGR were dominating the game and creating chances with James firing over after 41 minutes.

With just seconds to play at the end of the half, Russell produced a good save to deny Jon Stead with his legs.

Once again, Notts County dominated the early stages of the second but Rovers remained sold.

FGR were almost caught out by a high through ball, just after the hour mark. Russell was forced out of his box but he did well under pressure from the County strikers.

As the 75th minute approached, Charlie Cooper let fly from range. Collin made the save despite the wet ball slipping through his hands and bouncing agonisingly wide.

From the resulting corner, Bugiel almost doubled the visitor’s lead but his free header flashed wide with the keeper in no-man’s-land.

With less than five minutes to play, Notts County went inches away from equalising as Shola Ameobi flicked a header across Russell’s goal.

Notts County piled on the pressure and despite Rover’s best efforts, they snatched a point through Milsom who headed home at the death.

Report: Noah Dougherty

Image: Shane Healey/Pro Sports Images


Next Match
Last Match
League Table

v Brimscombe & Thrupp (A)

06/07/2018 7:30 pm

Pre-Season Friendly

v Grimsby (H)

Grimsby Town

05/05/2018 3:00 pm

League Two

Match Report
Pos Club P GD PT
13 Crewe 0 0 0
14 Exeter 0 0 0
15 Forest Green 0 0 0
16 Grimsby 0 0 0
17 Lincoln City 0 0 0
Last updated: Thu 21 Jun 2018 10:38 am

Vital Statistics

Date 07/10/2017 3:00 pm
Competition League Two
Home/Away Away
Full Time Result 1 - 1
Half Time Score 0 - 1
Man of the Match
Scorers Omar Bugiel
Referee Lee Probert

Team Sheet

Forest Green Rovers
Notts County
Player Goal (min) Sub Off
5 Yellow Card
4 Yellow Card 70
15 Yellow Card
Isaiah Osbourne
11 29
33 90
Subs Goal (min) Subbed
Will Randall
20 90
Jordan Stevens