Home / Games / Match Reports / First Team / 2017/18 / Mansfield Away

Forest Green Rovers
Forest Green Rovers
Date: 12/08/2017 3:00 pm    Attendance: 3826    Venue: One Call Stadium

Sloppy second half costs Rovers

Photo: Shane Healey/Pro Sport Images

Two second half goals from Danny Rose and Paul Anderson consigned Forest Green to their first Football League defeat on a brisk afternoon in Nottinghamshire.

Rovers crafted the first opportunity of the match as Dale Bennett found space out on the right hand side. He fizzed a low cross into the area towards Christian Doidge but the Welshman couldn’t get the ball under control and it was well cleared.

The away side were keeping the ball well in the opening exchanges but Lee Collins pondered on possession for a split second too long and was dispossessed by Lee Angol. The rangy forward burst through the defence but couldn’t find a finish as Brad Collins stood firm to deny him.

Forest Green continued to press and had the ball in the back of the net. Liam Noble’s wonderful clipped ball over the top found Doidge who smashed the ball into the bottom corner. However, the linesman had the flag up for offside moments before.

The home side started to grow into the game on the half hour mark and nearly broke the deadlock. A corner was swung in and found the head of Paul Digby whose powerful header was excellently tipped away by the Rovers stopper.

But it was FGR that nearly found a goal in the closing minutes of the half. Krystian Pearce made a meal out of a simple headed back pass which fell at the feet of Reece Brown. However, Conrad Logan’s fingertips denied the forward an opportunity at an empty net.

Mansfield came straight out of the blocks in the second period applying pressure to the Rovers back line. This pressure finally told in the 51st minute as The Stags took the lead. Danny Rose climbed highest 8 yards from goal to meet Will Atkinson’s ball and he planted his header in the bottom corner to give the home side a 1-0 advantage.

It didn’t take long for Steve Evan’s side to double their lead. Just five minutes after the opener Mansfield struck again, this time through Paul Anderson. He capitalised on loose play from Rovers on the halfway line and received a ball over the top sending his through. His initial low shot was well saved by Brad Collins but the rebound fell kindly to the winger’s feet and he tapped home to make it 2-0.

Anderson nearly increased his tally on the 64th minute cleverly flicking a Rose cross towards goal but it narrowly missed the post.

Mark Cooper’s men finally found a foothold in the second half in the closing moments. Shamir Mullings was unlucky not to find the back of the net from close range but his strike was well closed down 4 yards from goal.

Liam Noble’s thundering volley could only be directed straight at Conrad Logan as the Mansfield defence failed to clear their lines properly.

The 147 fans who made the trip to Nottinghamshire nearly went home having seen Rovers score with less than a minute remaining. A Charlie Cooper corner fell amongst a sea of bodies in the 18 yard area and but nobody could find a finish at the decisive moment.

Report: Ryan Harmer

Photo: Shane Healey/Pro Sport Images


Next Match
Last Match
League Table

v Mansfield (H)


24/03/2018 3:00 pm

League Two

v Crewe (A)

Crewe Alexandra

20/03/2018 7:45 pm

League Two

Match Report
Pos Club P GD PT
19 Crewe 38 -15 40
20 Port Vale 38 -13 38
21 Forest Green 38 -22 37
22 Grimsby 38 -25 37
23 Chesterfield 36 -28 31
Last updated: Wed 21 Mar 2018 21:59 pm

Vital Statistics

Date 12/08/2017 3:00 pm
Competition League Two
Home/Away Away
Full Time Result 2 - 0
Half Time Score 0 - 0
Man of the Match
Referee Carl Boyeson

Team Sheet

Forest Green Rovers