Home / Games / Match Reports / First Team / 2017/18 / Lincoln City Away

Lincoln City
Lincoln City
Forest Green Rovers
Forest Green Rovers
Date: 30/12/2017 3:00 pm    Attendance: 8964    Venue: Sincil Bank

Match Report: Rovers denied a point at the death

Isaiah Osbourne

A Matt Rhead goal in each half proved enough to beat Forest Green in a fiery encounter at Sincil Bank.

Rhead opened the scoring early on and despite a first half equaliser from Christian Doidge, the hosts were able to pull clear with a second goal just before the hour mark.

Mark Cooper made one change to the side that played at Exeter last week as Mark Roberts came into the side in place of Callum Evans.

Forest Green almost gave the hosts an early lead after just two minutes as Harry Anderson’s low cross was almost turned into his own net by Mark Roberts but Brad Collins reacted well to parry the ball clear.

Doidge almost found himself with a chance inside the Lincoln penalty area three minutes later but he couldn’t bring Dan Wishart’s whipped cross from the left under control.

The hosts’ early chance proved a warning that Rovers failed to head as with just 10 minutes on the clock, Neal Eardley’s deep cross found Rhead at the back post and the big striker couldn’t miss as he nodded into the almost unguarded net.

FGR began to settle into the game and they were able to limit Lincoln to a few tame, long-shots but no clear chances.

Despite Lincoln’s dominance going forward, the visitors were able to attack as well, Reece Brown’s free-kick being the best FGR chance in the opening 20 minutes but nobody could connect with his cross.

With 24 minutes on the clock, after a sustained period of possession,the Gloucestershire side found an equaliser from the most likely source.

Doidge picked up Lee Collins’ pass from the right and,turning on a six-pence, the in-form striker made no mistake as he fired past Josh Vickers to grab his 12th goal of the season.

Brad Collins pulled out a handful of good saves throughout the half to deny Anderson and Matt Green but the Forest Green back-line kept clear-cut chances to a minimum.

Lincoln looked less dominant as the second-half got underway and FGR looked to capitalise, Scott Laird firing wide of the target from the left of the penalty area.

Neither side were able to create much and chances were at a premium until just before the hour mark. Brad Collins’ 57th minute goal-kick went only as far as Anderson who was able to drive straight back at the FGR defence before squaring to Rhead who chipped home his second of the afternoon.

Despite some good spells on the ball, Rovers failed to create another chance until after the 80th minute.

Doidge held the ball up well before setting up Charlie Cooper the young midfielder’s powerful effort was well charged down.

Vickers then pulled off an unbelievable save with 90 minute son the clock as he threw himself across his goal to palm away Doidge’s volley before, from the resulting corner, Lee Collins headed against the post and Manny Monthe nodded home the rebound, but the referee had already blown for a Lincoln free-kick.

Report: Noah Dougherty

Image: Simon Davies/Pro Sports Images


Next Match
Last Match
League Table

v Brimscombe & Thrupp (A)

06/07/2018 7:30 pm

Pre-Season Friendly

v Grimsby (H)

Grimsby Town

05/05/2018 3:00 pm

League Two

Match Report
Pos Club P GD PT
13 Crewe 0 0 0
14 Exeter 0 0 0
15 Forest Green 0 0 0
16 Grimsby 0 0 0
17 Lincoln City 0 0 0
Last updated: Thu 21 Jun 2018 10:38 am

Vital Statistics

Date 30/12/2017 3:00 pm
Competition League Two
Home/Away Away
Full Time Result 2 - 1
Half Time Score 1 - 1
Man of the Match
Scorers Christian Doidge
Referee Martin Coy

Team Sheet

Forest Green Rovers
Lincoln City