Home / Games / Match Reports / First Team / 2017/18 / Grimsby Away

Grimsby Town
Forest Green Rovers
Forest Green Rovers
Date: 09/12/2017 3:00 pm    Attendance: 4398    Venue: Blundell Park

Rovers frustrated at Grimsby

Doidge fires wide early on

First half strike wins it for Grimsby

A first half red card and a Grimsby goal proved the difference on a frustrating afternoon at Blundell Park.

Mark Cooper made two changes to the side that won at Swindon in the week, Charlie Cooper making his return from injury and Mark Roberts also returning to the side to replace the suspended Dale Bennett and Manny Monthe.

 Grimsby started brightly but it was the visitors’ who had the best chance of the opening 10 minutes. Dan Wishart got the better of Zak Mills down the left-hand side before crossing well but Christian Doidge couldn’t direct his effort on target.

Grimsby would go just as close however after 17 minutes as Sam Jones let fly from the edge of the area, his deflected effort flashing narrowly wide. Jones then almost found the net again five minutes later, this time his effort flying just over the bar.

Grimsby continued to trouble Rovers and with 10 minutes of the first half to play they were handed a golden opportunity to take the lead.

Jack Fitzwater was adjudged to have pulled back Siriki Dembele inside the 18-yard box and he received a second yellow card and his marching orders as a result.

Brad Collins denied Jones from the spot but couldn’t keep Rose’s effort, the midfielder slamming on the rebound.

Reece Brown and Doidge tried to fashion an opportunity early in the second half but Doidge’s shot from the side of area was charge down and didn’t trouble James McKeown.

From the resulting corner however, FGR did go close. A header at the back post almost found the net but was nodded clear by Jamille Matt.

Despite Rovers appearing to grow into the game, it was Grimsby who went the closest to scoring inside the hour.Jones again with the chance, this time flicking a Luke Summerfield free kick onto the inside of the post.

The Mariners continued to look dangerous going forward and with 20 minutes to play they found themselves four-on-two but Wishart and Mark Roberts stood up well and prevented any real danger.

Substitute Jordan Stevens looked to make an impression on the game and he tried his luck with a few minutes to play but couldn’t find the target.

The final action came deep into added time as Rovers threw every man including Collins forward into the Grimsby area but McKeown punched clear ending a frustrating afternoon for FGR.

Report: Noah Dougherty

Image: Paul Thompson/Pro Sports Images


Next Match
Last Match
League Table

v Brimscombe & Thrupp (A)

06/07/2018 7:30 pm

Pre-Season Friendly

v Grimsby (H)

Grimsby Town

05/05/2018 3:00 pm

League Two

Match Report
Pos Club P GD PT
13 Crewe 0 0 0
14 Exeter 0 0 0
15 Forest Green 0 0 0
16 Grimsby 0 0 0
17 Lincoln City 0 0 0
Last updated: Thu 21 Jun 2018 10:38 am

Vital Statistics

Date 09/12/2017 3:00 pm
Competition League Two
Home/Away Away
Full Time Result 1 - 0
Half Time Score 1 - 0
Man of the Match
Referee Carl Boyeson

Team Sheet

Forest Green Rovers