Home / Games / Match Reports / First Team / 2017/18 / Exeter Away

Exeter City
Forest Green Rovers
Forest Green Rovers
Date: 31/01/2018 7:45 pm    Attendance: 3382    Venue: St James Park

Match Report: Rovers fall at the hands of Exeter

Scott Laird in action

Forest Green slipped to a disappointing defeat in their fifth and final meeting with Exeter City this season.

Despite a strong showing from the visitors in the first half they were unable to get on the scoresheet and were punished shortly after the break when Jayden Stockley netted his 15th goal of the season.

That was further compounded minutes later when Dale Bennett was adjudged to foul Kyle Edwards in the area and Pierce Sweeney converted the resulting spot kick.

Mark Cooper made just the one change to the side that lost 1-0 to Carlisle United last Saturday, bringing in Dan Wishart in place of Reece Brown and reverting to a back three.

Forest Green had the first shot on goal after six minutes as Christian Doidge fired at Christy Pym from the edge of the area but it was the hosts who had the best chance of the opening 10 minutes.

Lee Holmes’ free-kick from the right almost found the net via the head of Jake Taylor but the Exeter skipper was unlucky to see his effort fly wide.

The visitors once again tried to make the breakthrough as the 20 minute mark approached, Dayle Grubb’s deflected cross almost found its way to Doidge but FGR’s leading marksman couldn’t quite stretch far enough to get the killer touch.

Rovers continued to push for an opener and this time it was Wishart who almost broke the deadlock. The left-back broke down the left-hand side but his vicious strike across goal couldn’t quite find the inside of back post or Doidge who was arriving there.

The game was end-to-end and it was Exeter who had the next clear opportunity. With 25 minutes on the clock, Lee Holmes almost exactly mirrored Wishart’s chance six minutes earlier. The City winger drove down the right and his effort also flashed inches wide of the far post.

Rovers started the second period in the same vein as they finished the first, camped on the edge of the Exeter box with Wishart seeing a shot blocked.

However, it was the hosts that delivered a sucker punch as Edwards, on as a half-time substitute, whipped in a low cross from the left and Stockley was on hand to fire into the roof of the net from close range in the 50th minute.

Just seven minutes later and Exeter were handed the chance to double their lead from the penalty spot, Edwards again involved as he was tripped in the box by Dale Bennett and Pierce Sweeney made no mistake firing high and hard past Brad Collins.

Despite a few late attacking substitutions in the form of Brown and Tahvon Campbell it proved too little too late for Forest Green.

Image: Shane Healey/Pro Sports Images


Next Match
Last Match
League Table

v Brimscombe & Thrupp (A)

06/07/2018 7:30 pm

Pre-Season Friendly

v Grimsby (H)

Grimsby Town

05/05/2018 3:00 pm

League Two

Match Report
Pos Club P GD PT
13 Crewe 0 0 0
14 Exeter 0 0 0
15 Forest Green 0 0 0
16 Grimsby 0 0 0
17 Lincoln City 0 0 0
Last updated: Thu 21 Jun 2018 10:38 am

Vital Statistics

Date 31/01/2018 7:45 pm
Competition League Two
Home/Away Away
Full Time Result 2 - 0
Half Time Score 0 - 0
Man of the Match
Referee Brett Huxtable

Team Sheet

Forest Green Rovers
Player Goal (min) Sub Off
Gavin Gunning
Yellow Card
Farrend Rawson
Haydn Hollis
5 Yellow Card
34 85
Dayle Grubb
9 70
Reuben Reid
Subs Goal (min) Subbed
Cameron Belford
3 58
10 85
Tahvon Campbell