Home / Games / Match Reports / First Team / 2017/18 / Crewe Away

Crewe Alexandra
Forest Green Rovers
Forest Green Rovers
Date: 20/03/2018 7:45 pm    Attendance: 3158    Venue: The Alexandra Stadium

Match Report: FGR defeated at Gresty Road

Grubb finds the net

A disappointing night for Rovers who couldn't claw back a three goal deficit in the second half, despite a second-half strike from Dayle Grubb.

A goal from Charlie Kirk and two from Jordan Bowery were enough for Crewe to emerge victorious at Gresty Road.

Mark Cooper made four changes to the side that lost at league-leaders Accrington Stanley three days ago, opting to bring in goalkeeper Cameron Belford for his debut as well as giving starts to the returning Grubb, Scott Laird and Dale Bennett.

Both sides came out of the gates quickly but it was the hosts who had the first real chance of note, Kirk attempting to latch onto a loose ball at the back post but he couldn’t squeeze the ball past Farrend Rawson whose strong challenge averted the early danger.

Chris Clements had FGR’s first chance of the night after five minutes as he drifted clear of his marker at the back post but couldn’t direct his volleyed effort inside the post.

On his return to the side, the ever-dangerous Grubb was next to try his luck as, after winning the ball in midfield, he drove forward and cut inside. His shot however, didn’t trouble Ben Garratt in the Alexandra goal.

With 19 minutes on the clock, Crewe went about as close to opening the scoring as is possible without actually doing so. Harry Pickering picked the ball up 25 yards from goal and, answering the calls of ‘shoot’ from the home crowd, he let fly, rattling the far post in the process.

With just one minute of the first half to play, the hosts’persistence paid off as Bowery beat the offside trap from a free kick and flicked a header over the on-rushing Belford.

Crewe were handed a great opportunity to double their advantage as Harry McKiry capitalised on a slip from Gavin Gunning after 51 minutes but as the striker raced through, he too slipped and ballooned his effort horribly over the bar.

The hosts did double their lead however just before the hour mark as Kirk picked up a loose ball on the edge of the area and fired low past Belford before, just three minutes later, they added a third. This time Bowery received the ball on the right of the area, took a touch, and fired the ball into the far corner via the post. 

Forest Green appeared to start a comeback after 64 minutes as Bennett’s driven cross was helped on towards Grubb and the FGR man did well to keep his shot low and fire past Garratt.

With just six minutes to play, FGR almost pulled another goal back thanks to a combination of two substitutes. Grubb delivered a low ball into the box and although Tahvon Campbell couldn’t direct his shot on target it fell to Alex Bray who, from a tight angle, slammed his effort against the bar.

Reece Brown’s deflected shot from range in the dying minutes proved to be FGR’s last chance as they fell to a disappointing result at Gresty Road.

Report: Noah Dougherty

Image: ShaneHealey/Pro Sports Images


Next Match
Last Match
League Table

v Brimscombe & Thrupp (A)

06/07/2018 7:30 pm

Pre-Season Friendly

v Grimsby (H)

Grimsby Town

05/05/2018 3:00 pm

League Two

Match Report
Pos Club P GD PT
13 Crewe 0 0 0
14 Exeter 0 0 0
15 Forest Green 0 0 0
16 Grimsby 0 0 0
17 Lincoln City 0 0 0
Last updated: Thu 21 Jun 2018 10:38 am

Vital Statistics

Date 20/03/2018 7:45 pm
Competition League Two
Home/Away Away
Full Time Result 3 - 1
Half Time Score 1 - 0
Man of the Match
Scorers Dayle Grubb
Referee Anthony Backhouse

Team Sheet

Forest Green Rovers