Home / Games / Match Reports / First Team / 2017/18 / Crawley Town Away

Crawley Town
Crawley Town
Forest Green Rovers
Forest Green Rovers
Date: 11/11/2017 3:00 pm    Attendance: 2149    Venue: Checkatrade.com Stadium

Forest Green continue unbeaten run

Christian Doidge celebrates his goal

Thomas Verheydt cancelled out Christian Doidge’s second half strike in a very entertaining encounter that extended FGR’s unbeaten league run to four games.

Forest Green hit the woodwork three times and Crawley struck it once in an unbelievable game of football at the Checkatrade Stadium.Christian Doidge gave Forest Green the lead after 67 but his effort was cancelled out with 10 minutes to play.

With Dale Bennett suspended, Alex Iacovitti returned to the side at left-back and Scott Laird moved across to right-back.

Jordan Simpson joined those on the bench after being recalled from his loan spell at Hungerford and Dan Wishart also returned to the matchday squad with Omar Bugiel on international duty.

Forest Green had a golden opportunity to take the lead just four minutes in as Reece Brown’s threaded pass found Doidge one-on-one with Glenn Morris. Despite the option of a square ball to Keanu Marsh-Brown, the striker took the shot on himself and failed to beat the keeper.

Crawley Town had a one-on-one of their own after 10 minutes as Lewis Young picked Manny Monthe’s pocket and raced through. He also failed to beat the keeper, Brad Collins staying strong at his front post.

Alex Iacovitti could then have given the visitors the lead just two minutes later as he rose to meet Scott Laird’s free-kick, nodding it down but into the grateful arms of Morris.

Marsh-Brown was next to try his luck for Rovers, his effort striking the underside of the crossbar following a beautiful, flowing move.

Doidge’s flicked header again came the width of the wood workfrom giving FGR the lead as he re-directed Marsh-Brown’s free-kick, beating the keeper but not the far post.

Forest Green’s leading marksman had his third clear opportunity of the game, this time denied by the Morris’s hand outside the box – the goalkeeper lucky to escape with just a yellow.

The hosts came out strong for the second half and after 53 minutes it was their turn to hit the woodwork, Josh Payne’s shot from the edge of the area rattling the underside of the crossbar.

Collins was called into action just after the hour mark,expertly tipping the ball over the bar to keep the score at 0-0.

Crawley continued to press but, against the run of second half play Forest Green took the lead on 67 minute. After a great string of passes,Isaiah Osbourne found Marsh-Brown whose shot was parried by Morris, Doidge gratefully tapping home.

With 10 minutes to play, numerous corners in quick succession proved too much for Rovers. Joe McNerney headed the ball back across goal and Verheydt nodded home from inside the six-yard-box.

Lee Collins gifted the ball to Jordan Roberts as the game headed into injury time but the Forest Green captain recovered brilliantly with a sliding challenge.

With just one minute of the additional four to play, Scott Laird vicious effort from the right wing struck the inside of the post, capping off an incredibly eventful game.

Report: Noah Dougherty

Image: Phil Duncan/Pro Sports Images


Next Match
Last Match
League Table

There are no upcoming matches left in this season, but you can still see our previous results.

Results & Fixtures

v Grimsby (H)

Grimsby Town

05/05/2018 3:00 pm

League Two

Match Report
Pos Club P GD PT
19 Yeovil 46 -16 48
20 Port Vale 46 -18 47
21 Forest Green 46 -23 47
22 Morecambe 46 -15 46
23 Barnet 46 -19 46
Last updated: Sat 05 May 2018 17:00 pm

Vital Statistics

Date 11/11/2017 3:00 pm
Competition League Two
Home/Away Away
Full Time Result 1 - 1
Half Time Score 0 - 0
Man of the Match Reece Brown
Scorers Christian Doidge