Home / Games / Match Reports / First Team / 2017/18 / Coventry Home

Forest Green Rovers
Forest Green Rovers
Coventry City
Date: 03/02/2018 3:00 pm    Attendance: 3623    Venue: The New Lawn

Match Report: FGR do the double on Coventry

The players celebrate Collins' winner

Forest Green continue home form.

Debutant Alex Bray broke the deadlock just shy of 40 minutes into the game to give Forest Green the advantage at the break.

The Sky Blues then pegged FGR back from the spot with 59 minutes on the clock but resolute Rovers took the lead again just six minutes later through their captain to hold on for a massive three points and their third home win on the bounce.

Mark Cooper made one change to the side that lost at Exeter City during the week as deadline-day signing Bray came into the side to replace Dan Wishart as FGR switched back to a back four.

Coventry went close to opening the scoring after seven minutes as Josh Barrett charged down the left and cut inside Dale Bennett on to his stronger right foot but Brad Collins was equal to the winger’s curling effort.

On his debut for the club after signing on loan from Rotherham earlier this week, Bray was causing trouble down both flanks. His driving run down the left almost created a good chance for Dayle Grubb but the latter held onto the ball for a few seconds too long to get his shot away.

The hosts then had another chance to take the lead as,following a mix-up between goalkeeper Lee Burge and his defender, Reuben Reid found himself with a golden opportunity in the form of an almost unguarded net but as the striker tried to slide the ball home, Jordan Willis through himself across goal to block the shot behind for a corner.

Finally, with 39 minutes on the clock, Rovers did break the deadlock. Christian Doidge laid the ball off to Grubb who let fly from a tight angle and although his effort rebounded back off the inside of the far post,Bray was on hand to tap home into an empty net.

Grubb almost created another chance with 12 minutes gone in the second period, his free-kick from the left-hand side dropping into the area but Doidge opted to leave the ball and Burge was able to gather.

The visitors looked to find a way back into the encounter and after 58 minutes the referee gave them one. The man in black adjudged Reuben Reid to have committed a foul in the area and McNulty made no mistake from the spot firing high down the middle past Collins.

Forest Green would however, take the lead again as with 65 minutes on the clock through an unlikely source. Grubb found Lee Collins on the edge of the area and the captain unleashed a thunderbolt of a strike into the top corner.

Coventry City tried to find a way back into the game but the barrage of blue couldn’t break through a resolute Rovers backline as the boys in green held on for another historic victory over the former Premier League side.

Report: Noah Dougherty

Image: Shane Healey/Pro Sports Images


Next Match
Last Match
League Table

v Brimscombe & Thrupp (A)

06/07/2018 7:30 pm

Pre-Season Friendly

v Grimsby (H)

Grimsby Town

05/05/2018 3:00 pm

League Two

Match Report
Pos Club P GD PT
13 Crewe 0 0 0
14 Exeter 0 0 0
15 Forest Green 0 0 0
16 Grimsby 0 0 0
17 Lincoln City 0 0 0
Last updated: Thu 21 Jun 2018 10:38 am

Vital Statistics

Date 03/02/2018 3:00 pm
Competition League Two
Home/Away Home
Full Time Result 2 - 1
Half Time Score 1 - 0
Man of the Match
Scorers Alex Bray
Lee Collins
Referee Darren Handley

Team Sheet

Forest Green Rovers
Player Goal (min) Sub Off
Gavin Gunning
Farrend Rawson
Haydn Hollis
Alex Bray
38 72
34 62
5 64
Dayle Grubb
Reuben Reid
Subs Goal (min) Subbed
17 72
Chris Clements
Tahvon Campbell
Cameron Belford