Home / Games / Match Reports / First Team / 2017/18 / Coventry Away

Coventry City
Forest Green Rovers
Forest Green Rovers
Date: 17/10/2017 7:45 pm    Venue: Ricoh Arena

Forest Green claim historic first away win

Marsh-Brown celebrates his goal

Keanu Marsh-Brown’s 29th minute strike proved the difference in a huge game at the Ricoh Arena.

Marsh-Brown made his first start following a stint on the sidelines and it was his early goal that would eventually win the game for FGR. Their first away win and first clean sheet in the Football League.

After a disappointing 4-0 defeat on Saturday, Mark Cooper made five changes for the side that stepped out to face former Premier League opposition Coventry City.

Brad Collins made a return from injury to replace Sam Russell in goal while Jack Fitzwater, Scott Laird, Toni Gomes and Marsh-Brown all started.

Forest Green created the first chance of the game after 10 minutes as Dale Bennett, after some good work through the midfield, which was blocked behind for a corner.

Moments later, Charlie Cooper’s free-kick from the edge ofthe area was the first shot on target.

Bennett found himself breaking down the right again after 17 minutes. This time, his cross made it into the area but it couldn’t quite find Isaiah Osbourne at the back post.

FGR continued to push and just before the half hour markthey got their reward. Toni Gomes set up Marsh-Brown in the centre and hispowerful effort slipped through the grasp of Coventry goalkeeper Lee Burge togive the visitors an unlikely lead.

Five minutes later, Brad Collins was called into action at the other end. Flying to his left, the young stopper produced an excellent save to deny Michael Doyle on the half volley.

From the resulting corner, Collins was once again needed to provide a save. This time, stooping to his right to keep FGR in the lead.

Confidence flowing, Marsh Brown tried his luck again after 36 minutes. This time, his effort deflected wide.

Coventry came out for the second half with all guns blazing and it took a strong performance from the Rovers’ defence to keep them at bay early on.

The Sky Blues almost found the net with the hour mark approaching, striker Max Biamou missing a golden opportunity to head home from six yards.

Despite a spell of Coventry pressure, FGR weren’t without chances themselves. Charlie Cooper tried his luck from a wide set piece, almost finding the top corner.

The home side might have leveled the scores after 70 minutes but for substitute Alex Iacovitti who cleared Duckens Nazon’s effort off the line.

With only two minutes of normal time to play, Forest Green had a strong penalty shout. Omar Bugiel was played in and despite the appeals from players, staff and fans, the referee gave the decision to Coventry.

It looked to be a nervy end to the game as the forth official put seven additional minutes on the board but, despite a late effort from Nazon, the away side held on to claim an important three points.

Report: Noah Dougherty

Image: Shane Healey/Pro Sports Images


Next Match
Last Match
League Table

There are no upcoming matches left in this season, but you can still see our previous results.

Results & Fixtures

v Grimsby (H)

Grimsby Town

05/05/2018 3:00 pm

League Two

Match Report
Pos Club P GD PT
19 Yeovil 46 -16 48
20 Port Vale 46 -18 47
21 Forest Green 46 -23 47
22 Morecambe 46 -15 46
23 Barnet 46 -19 46
Last updated: Sat 05 May 2018 17:00 pm

Vital Statistics

Date 17/10/2017 7:45 pm
Competition League Two
Home/Away Away
Full Time Result 0 - 1
Half Time Score 0 - 1
Man of the Match Jack Fitzwater
Scorers Keanu Marsh-Brown