Home / Games / Match Reports / First Team / 2017/18 / Chesterfield Home

Forest Green Rovers
Forest Green Rovers
Date: 21/04/2018 3:00 pm    Attendance: 3336    Venue: The New Lawn

Match Report: Rovers thrash Chesterfield late on

Doidge celebrates scoring a brace

Two stoppage time goals helped seal a massive win for FGR in their fight for survival

Scott Laird opened the scoring with a great strike in the first half before FGR scored three times in the last 15 minutes, Christain Doidge scoring twice either side of a Dayle Grubb goal, to send them one point from safety.

Mark Cooper named an unchanged side following last week’s 1-0 win over Cheltenham Town as he hoped to produce a similar performance from his side going into the final few weeks of the season.

The visitors started brightly and went close from a third minute corner as Jak McCourt was given the ball on the edge of the area but his hooked volley didn’t quite sneak inside the far post.

Forest Green were almost gifted a golden opportunity after six minutes as Drew Talbot miss hit a ball back to his keeper but Christian Doidge couldn’t quite get on the end of it and Aaron Ramsdale was able to clear. From the keeper’s long ball however, it was the Spirites who had a chance as Dennis did brilliantly to bring the ball down but he couldn’t beat Brad Collins at his near post.

From the resulting corner, the visitors went close again through Andy Kellett as he was given the ball on the edge of the area and fired towards the far post but nobody could apply the finishing touch and he was unlucky to see the ball bounce off the face of the upright.

Rovers began to grow into the game and create chances for themselves and after 20 minutes, they had three excellent opportunities to open the scoring in quick succession.

Doidge was played in perfectly by Reece Brown down the left-hand side of the penalty area but his low effort across goal was parried out by Ramsdale but only as far as Reuben Reid who crossed the ball back into the area. This time, Doidge was able to nod the ball at goal but once more couldn’t beat the stopper and as the ball fell back to him he could only fire against the underside of the bar.

With the half-hour mark approaching, the hosts continued to search for the opening goal and with 27 minutes on the clock they found it. Chris Clements picked the ball up on the edge of the area and he flicked it out to Scott Laird on the left who took a touch and fired a spectacular effort across goal and into the far corner.

Forest Green looked like they could score again but after 35 minutes it was the visitors who were presented with a great chance to equalise. Laird was only able to half clear and as the ball was played out to Talbot on the left, Reid was adjudged to have man-handled the left back and the referee pointed to the spot. Dennis stepped up and slotted calmly past Collins into the bottom left corner.

Forest Green had considerably more of the ball in the opening 20 minute of the second half but they struggled to create any clear openings. Clements having the first real shot of the half after 68 minutes but his half-volley from the edge of the area was well blocked.

Shortly after the hour mark, Dayle Grubb entered the fray from the bench and it only took him 13 minutes to make his mark on the game as after 78 minutes he drove through midfield and slid Doidge in, the striker making no mistake as he slotted home his 50th goal in an FGR shirt.

All of FGR’s hard work was almost undone 12 minutes later as, with 90 minutes on the clock, Jacob Brown latched onto a lobbed through ball and prodded an effort onto the post.

With four of the six additional minutes played, Dayle Grubb managed to add his name to the score sheet as he drove down the left and although his initial shot was blocked he battled hard to keep the ball under control and he fired underneath the keeper from close range.

Just one minute later, another of Cooper’s substitutions, Alex Bray drove forward drown the right and was brought down and once again it was Doidge who stepped up to fire home and sure up the three points.

Report: Noah Dougherty

Image: Shane Healey/Pro Sports Images


Next Match
Last Match
League Table

There are no upcoming matches left in this season, but you can still see our previous results.

Results & Fixtures

v Grimsby (H)

Grimsby Town

05/05/2018 3:00 pm

League Two

Match Report
Pos Club P GD PT
19 Yeovil 46 -16 48
20 Port Vale 46 -18 47
21 Forest Green 46 -23 47
22 Morecambe 46 -15 46
23 Barnet 46 -19 46
Last updated: Sat 05 May 2018 17:00 pm

Vital Statistics

Date 21/04/2018 3:00 pm
Competition League Two
Home/Away Home
Full Time Result 4 - 1
Half Time Score 1 - 1
Man of the Match
Scorers Scott Laird
Christian Doidge (2)
Dayle Grubb
Referee Scott Duncan

Team Sheet

Forest Green Rovers