Home / Games / Match Reports / First Team / 2017/18 / Chesterfield Away

Forest Green Rovers
Forest Green Rovers
Date: 21/11/2017 7:45 pm    Attendance: 4306    Venue: Proact Stadium

Monthe sees red as FGR lose at Chesterfield

Manny Monthe is shown a red card

Christian Doidge scored twice and Manny Monthe was sent off in an eventful second half at The Proact Stadium.

Doidge and Jak McCourt both bagged braces while Spireite stop scorer Kristian Dennis also scored as FGR fell to defeat at bottom of the table Chesterfield.

For the first time since the victory over Morecambe, Forest Green started the game unchanged from their previous fixture.

Brad Collins was called into action within the first five minutes, getting low at his front post to deny McCourt. The only shot of the first 20 minutes.

McCourt was amongst the action again after 22 minutes. His glanced header from Andy Kellet’s free kick this time getting the better of Collins and finding the back of the net.

Collins was then forced to make another save just one minute later. This time denying Kristian Dennis, again at the near post.

The Spireites were clearly on top in the opening half hour and Lee Collins had to make an excellent block after 28 minutes, sliding in to deny Dennis on the edge of the six-yard-box.

The visitors had their first shot of the game after 37 minutes, Reece Brown cutting inside along the edge of the penalty area before letting fly and winning a corner.

With five minutes of the half to play, Collins produced his best save yet, stretching out a leg to deny Dennis from close range and keeping the score at 1-0.

Mark Cooper looked to change things up at half time,bringing on Dan Wishart and Manny Monthe. However, just four minutes into the second period, Monthe was given his marching orders, the referee producing the red card for a challenge on Joe Rowley.

It then didn’t take long for the hosts to double their lead. McCourt found some space in the area after 54 minutes and his powerful effort squirmed through a crowd of bodies and past Collins.

The visitors looked to find a way back into the game and, on the hour mark, they found it. Reece Brown picked the ball up in middle of the park and his excellent ball split the Chesterfield defence allowing Dale Bennett to break through and square the ball to Doidge, the striker gratefully tapping home.

Chesterfield continued to push for a third and with 20 minutes to play, they almost found it. Rowley’s shot was parried into the path of Dennis who, with the whole goal to aim at, took too long and was brilliantly tackled by Collins.

Despite FGR’s defensive work, Dennis did find Chesterfield’s third with nine minutes of normal time to play. The Spireites’ leading marksman neatly swept home a cross to kill off any real chance of another FGR comeback.

10-man FGR did grab another late goal in added time, Doidge nodding home Reece Brown’s free kick but it wasn’t enough as they fell to their first league defeat in six games.

Report: Noah Dougherty

Image: Aaron Lupton/Pro Sports Images


Next Match
Last Match
League Table

v Brimscombe & Thrupp (A)

06/07/2018 7:30 pm

Pre-Season Friendly

v Grimsby (H)

Grimsby Town

05/05/2018 3:00 pm

League Two

Match Report
Pos Club P GD PT
13 Crewe 0 0 0
14 Exeter 0 0 0
15 Forest Green 0 0 0
16 Grimsby 0 0 0
17 Lincoln City 0 0 0
Last updated: Thu 21 Jun 2018 10:38 am

Vital Statistics

Date 21/11/2017 7:45 pm
Competition League Two
Home/Away Away
Full Time Result 3 - 2
Half Time Score 1 - 0
Man of the Match
Scorers Christian Doidge (2)
Referee Robert Jones

Team Sheet

Forest Green Rovers