Home / Games / Match Reports / First Team / 2017/18 / Cheltenham Away

Cheltenham Town
Forest Green Rovers
Forest Green Rovers
Date: 03/10/2017 7:45 pm    Attendance: 1576    Venue: LCI Rail Stadium

Rovers come back to win at Cheltenham

Jordan Stevens scores the winner for FGR

Goals from Reece Brown and Jordan Stevens earnt Forest Green an important and exciting victory at Cheltenham in the Checkatrade Trophy.

Despite the nature of the competition, FGR only made two changes to the side that lost at home to Accrington Stanley, a stark contrast to the eight changes made by Cheltenham Town. Omar Bugiel and Lee Collins made way for Luke James and Jack Fitzwater.

After six minutes, the game’s first chance arrived in the shape of former FGR striker Danny Wright. The big forward tried to burst through the defence but couldn’t make a firm connection with the ball.

As the game entered its 12th minute, Forest Green came as close to scoring as possible without the ball hitting the net. Brown’s perfect pass found Christian Doidge inside the box and the leading marksman’s deflected shot hit the post and rolled across the line. As the ball re-entered the box, Isaiah Osbourne couldn’t generate enough power in his header to trouble Jonathan Flatt.

Charlie Cooper had a golden opportunity to break the deadlock with a little under half of the first period played. Luke James fired a low ball into the area and Copper’s left footed effort from the edge of the six yard box was excellently saved by Flatt.

Just one minute later, Cheltenham almost headed the ball into their own net as Cooper’s free-kick was just too high for Mathew Bower.

Wright had a second chance for Cheltenham in the 32nd minute but his header flew comfortably over the bar.

Cooper was once again among the action as James’ deflected shot almost fell to the young midfielder at the back post. James then went close himself moments later as he directed a low cross on target, but straight at the Cheltenham stopper.

The home side almost took the lead with only a few minutes to play of the half but Cheltenham couldn’t bury the ball, despite numerous chances in quick succession.

Freddie Hinds broke the deadlock after 50 minutes as a rare mistake from Drissa Traore gifted the Cheltenham man the ball in the middle of the park. The 18-year-old didn’t need a second invitation as he lifted the ball, with pace, over Sam Russell from almost 30 yards to net his first Cheltenham goal.

Doidge let fly from the edge of the box as the game hit the hour mark. His effort might have found the net but for a tiny deflection, sending it inches wide.

Cheltenham had the ball in the net once more after 68 minutes, this time via the left boot of Wright, but it wouldn’t count as the referee had already adjudged a foul on Russell.

However, the game really exploded into action for the visitors as the 80th minute approached.

Forest Green would find an equaliser after 79 minutes as Brown drilled low across the keeper from outside the box into the bottom left hand corner and just one minute later, 17-year-old Jordan Stevens scored an almost identical strike to open his account for the club.

Two minutes later, Danny Wright saw red as he stamped on Brown,who was on the floor just inside the Cheltenham half.

Report: Noah Dougherty

Image: Shane Healey/Pro Sports Images


Next Match
Last Match
League Table

v Brimscombe & Thrupp (A)

06/07/2018 7:30 pm

Pre-Season Friendly

v Grimsby (H)

Grimsby Town

05/05/2018 3:00 pm

League Two

Match Report
Pos Club P GD PT
13 Crewe 0 0 0
14 Exeter 0 0 0
15 Forest Green 0 0 0
16 Grimsby 0 0 0
17 Lincoln City 0 0 0
Last updated: Thu 21 Jun 2018 10:38 am

Vital Statistics

Date 03/10/2017 7:45 pm
Competition League Trophy
Home/Away Away
Full Time Result 1 - 2
Half Time Score 0 - 0
Man of the Match
Scorers Reece Brown
Jordan Stevens
Referee Trevor Kettle

Team Sheet

Forest Green Rovers
Player Goal (min) Sub Off
17 90
15 75
10 Yellow Card 78
Isaiah Osbourne
9 72
Subs Goal (min) Subbed
11 72
Will Randall
20 90
Jordan Stevens
79 75