Home / Games / Match Reports / First Team / 2017/18 / Cheltenham Away

Cheltenham Town
Forest Green Rovers
Forest Green Rovers
Date: 14/04/2018 3:00 pm    Attendance: 4744    Venue: LCI Rail Stadium

Match Report: Rovers prevail on derby day

Christian Doidge celebrates his strike

A late first-half thunderbolt from Christian Doidge was enough to seal a crucial derby-day victory over Cheltenham Town.

Doidge fired home his 22nd goal of the season after 43 minutes of the game and an excellent second-half display from the FGR backline was enough to secure a first league away win since October.

Mark Cooper made three changes to the side that was beaten by Barnet a week ago as he brought back Chris Clements, Reece Brown and Scott Laird to replace Dale Bennett, Dayle Grubb and Alex Bray.

Forest Green started the brighter of the two sides and Reuben Reid had the first shot of the game after four minutes as he was given some space outside the area but his effort was flicked over by the head of Jamie Grimes.

Laird, who had made his return to the side ahead of the game, looked to be creating chances down the left-hand side and his excellent cross into the six-yard box almost found the outstretched leg of Christian Doidge but Scott Flinders was able to gather the ball.

The hosts began to find a foothold in the game and after 17 minutes they picked the ball up in midfield and drove forward but Carl Winchester’s effort was well blocked by Farrend Rawson on the edge of the area.

Winchester had another crack at goal five minutes later but this time his shot from outside the area was comfortably saved by Brad Collins.

With a little over half an hour on the clock, Doidge was brought down outside the area as FGR tried to break and although the resulting free-kick from Chris Clements  looked to be dipping under the bar at pace, Flinders was able to palm the effort over.

Taylor Moore looked to fire the home side into the lead as half time approached and after cutting inside his effort flashed inches past Collins’ far post.

The deadlock remained unbroken at The LCI Rail Stadium until two minutes before the break when Isaiah Osbourne fed Reid down the left who in turn knocked the ball inside to his strike Doidge on the edge of area and the club’s leading marksman did incredibly well to unleash a venomous half volley into the top corner to give FGR a crucial half-time lead.

Forest Green looked to get on the front foot early in the second half as Reid chased a loose ball down the left he was able to find Reece Brown with a low ball into the area but the young midfielder couldn’t generate enough power on the spin to beat Flinders.

Cheltenham’s best chance came just before the hour mark as Mohamed Eisa picked the ball up on the left and jinked inside before firing at goal, Brad Collins doing exceptionally well to push away the powerful, bouncing strike.

The hosts continued to look for an equaliser for an equaliser but an excellent display from the likes of Laird at the back was enough to keep the Robins at bay.

Report: Noah Dougherty

Image: Shane Healey / Pro Sports Images


Next Match
Last Match
League Table

v Brimscombe & Thrupp (A)

06/07/2018 7:30 pm

Pre-Season Friendly

v Grimsby (H)

Grimsby Town

05/05/2018 3:00 pm

League Two

Match Report
Pos Club P GD PT
13 Crewe 0 0 0
14 Exeter 0 0 0
15 Forest Green 0 0 0
16 Grimsby 0 0 0
17 Lincoln City 0 0 0
Last updated: Thu 21 Jun 2018 10:38 am

Vital Statistics

Date 14/04/2018 3:00 pm
Competition League Two
Home/Away Away
Full Time Result 0 - 1
Half Time Score 0 - 1
Man of the Match
Scorers Christian Doidge
Referee Ollie Yates

Team Sheet

Forest Green Rovers