Home / Games / Match Reports / First Team / 2017/18 / Cambridge Utd Away

Cambridge Utd
Cambridge United
Forest Green Rovers
Forest Green Rovers
Date: 26/09/2017 7:45 pm    Attendance: 3545    Venue: Cambs Glass Stadium

FGR fall to defeat at Cambridge

Image: Shane Healey/Pro Sports Images

Despite positive moments, FGR suffered a disappointing defeat at Cambridge as Uche Ikpeazu grabbed himself a second half brace.

On his first start of the season, Omar Bugiel made clear his intentions after just three minutes as he drove at the Cambridge defence before letting fly on his left foot.

Lee Collins then almost cost Rovers an early goal as his half clearance found Uche Ikpeazu whose poor left footed shot bounced wide after five minutes.

Bugiel continued to cause problems for Cambridge as he ran at the centre backs. Dan Wishart then took command of a set-piece, which Bugiel had won, and his effort would have found the top right hand corner of the net but for a good save by David Forde.

Cambridge took the lead after 15 minutes as an un-marked Jabo Ibehre tapped home Mendy Elioto’s cross.

Rovers could have grabbed an equaliser 5 minutes later as David Forde fumbled Dale Bennett’s high cross. If not for Gary Deegan’s clearance,the ball would have rolled over the line.

Bugiel was amongst the action once more as the game entered the 22nd minute. Rising high, he couldn’t quite direct his header on target.

Rovers began having a lot of luck down the right and they almost found the net but Doidge’s effort didn’t quite find the target after Randall’s driven cross.

Relishing in his second half role as a striker, Dan Wishart almost netted an equaliser for FGR. Nutmegging his defender, he drove inside and nearly beat the keeper but Forde produced a good stop to push away the strike. Alex Iacovitti then could have scored from the second cross but he couldn’t properly connect and his volley bounced wide.

Uche Ikpeazu had his third chance of the game for Cambridge and this time, his effort from the left hand side of the box curled into the far top corner, bouncing off the post to give United a 2-0 lead after 55 minutes.

Five minutes later, Ikpeazu added his second and Cambridge’s third. The ball fell to him following a cross and the big striker lashed home with his left foot.

Scott Laird, with his first touch, fired at goal and was unlucky to see his effort fly inches over Forde’s goal.

Although it was a disappointing defeat, FGR have plenty to build on as they head into Saturday’s clash with Accrington Stanley at the New Lawn.

Report: Noah Dougherty

Image: Shane Healey/Pro Sports Images


Next Match
Last Match
League Table

v Brimscombe & Thrupp (A)

06/07/2018 7:30 pm

Pre-Season Friendly

v Grimsby (H)

Grimsby Town

05/05/2018 3:00 pm

League Two

Match Report
Pos Club P GD PT
13 Crewe 0 0 0
14 Exeter 0 0 0
15 Forest Green 0 0 0
16 Grimsby 0 0 0
17 Lincoln City 0 0 0
Last updated: Thu 21 Jun 2018 10:38 am

Vital Statistics

Date 26/09/2017 7:45 pm
Competition League Two
Home/Away Away
Full Time Result 3 - 0
Half Time Score 1 - 0
Man of the Match
Referee Ross Joyce

Team Sheet

Forest Green Rovers
Cambridge Utd
Player Goal (min) Sub Off
20 60
17 72
4 65
Isaiah Osbourne
Will Randall
Subs Goal (min) Subbed
3 72
10 65
Toni Correia Gomes