Home / Games / Match Reports / First Team / 2017/18 / Barnet Home

Forest Green Rovers
Forest Green Rovers
Date: 05/08/2017 3:00 pm    Attendance: 3171    Venue: The New Lawn

Rovers share the spoils in EFL opener

Photo: Shane Healey/Pro Sport Images

Second half goals from Jean Louis Akpo Akpro and Jamal Cambell-Ryce cancelled out a Christian Doidge brace on a historical day for Forest Green.

Rover’s started nervously and Brad Collins spilt a cross early on before produces a save from Jean Louis Akpo Akpro’s tame shot.

Christian Doidge had Rovers’ first chance but stretching, he couldn’t generate any power in his shot.

Forest Green began to assert some dominance and, in a crazy sequence of events, the home side fired four shots at the Barnet goal in quick succession. Liam Noble was the next to have a crack at goal but his dipping volley flew over the bar.

As the game remained open, Mairo Vilhete fired over Collins’goal from 20 yards before Reece Brown was also off target at the other end.

Barnet had two good chances just before the half hour mark. Jamal Cambell-Ryce’s cross was met by Akpo Akpro but the striker couldn’t really test Collins in the Rovers’ goal. It was Shaquile Coulthirst’s flicked header that did work Collins but still the deadlock remained unbroken.

Charlie Cooper had the best chance of the opening 33 minutes but his driving run and shot flew inches wide of the post.

Five minutes later, Rovers almost took the lead again as Callum Evans burst down the right but his shot flashed just wide of the post.

Finally, just five minutes from the break, Rovers made the breakthrough. Doidge, in typical fashion, found some space in the box to expertly nod home Charlie Cooper’s corner.

Two minutes later, Rovers doubled their advantage as former FGR man Charlie Clough misjudged Lee Collins’ long ball and Doidge stepped up once more to deftly lift the ball over James Stephens’ head.

From the whistle it was Barnet who dominated the second period. Shaquile Coulhirst flashed a ball across the Rovers’ box but Akpo Akpro couldn’t apply the finishing touch.

However, FGR weren’t so lucky next time the ball fell to the striker. Brad Collins made the initial save but the ball looped over him and Akpo Akpro couldn’t miss as he headed home from inside the 6 yard box.

Four minutes later, Jamal Cambell-Ryce picked the ball up 30 yards from the Rovers’ goal and his low driven shot rolled past Collins before bouncing in off the post to equalise.

Rovers fashioned what would be their only notable chance in the 92nd minute as Doidge jumped against goalkeeper Stephens but lost out.

Report: Noah Dougherty

Photo: Shane Healey/Pro Sport Images


Next Match
Last Match
League Table

v Mansfield (H)


24/03/2018 3:00 pm

League Two

v Crewe (A)

Crewe Alexandra

20/03/2018 7:45 pm

League Two

Match Report
Pos Club P GD PT
19 Crewe 38 -15 40
20 Port Vale 38 -13 38
21 Forest Green 38 -22 37
22 Grimsby 38 -25 37
23 Chesterfield 36 -28 31
Last updated: Wed 21 Mar 2018 21:59 pm

Vital Statistics

Date 05/08/2017 3:00 pm
Competition League Two
Home/Away Home
Full Time Result 2 - 2
Half Time Score 2 - 0
Man of the Match Christian Doidge
Scorers Christian Doidge (2)
Referee Darren Drysdale