Home / Games / Match Reports / First Team / 2017/18 / Barnet Away

Forest Green Rovers
Forest Green Rovers
Date: 07/04/2018 3:00 pm    Attendance: 1764    Venue: Hive Stadium

Match Report: Forest Green fall to frustrating defeat at Barnet

Reid fires at goal

A goal in first-half stoppage time was enough to sting Rovers at The Hive as they fell to a disappointing defeat against fellow relegation rivals Barnet.

Alex Nicholls struck in the third minute of first-half stoppage time and FGR failed to create enough chances to warrant scoring despite a late spell of possession.

Mark Cooper made two changes to the side the lost to Colchester United in Nailsworth last Monday opting to bring back Farrend Rawson and Christian Doidge in place of Dan Wishart and Tahvon Campbell.

Just as Forest Green’s opponents did less than a week ago, Barnet were quick out of the blocks and the league’s bottom side had forced a smart save from Bradley Collins after just 40 seconds as Shaquile Coulthirst drove inside and searched for the bottom corner but his effort was palmed away by the FGR stopper.

The hosts had another half chance minutes later as John Akinde rose highest at the back post but his header flew up and over the bar.

Rovers’ first chance came in the ninth minute as Dayle Grubb picked the ball up on the left before, in typical fashion, he drifted inside before firing at goal but his effort was headed over by Michael Nelson.

With just over half an hour gone, Grubb was again involved. This time the provider, Grubb tried to slide Alex Bray in through the middle but the pass got away from the winger and ran through to Craig Ross in the Barnet goal.

As the first half began drawing to a close, the Bee’s early dominance had dwindled and FGR tried to find an opener. Grubb once again tried to test the keeper but this time his weak-footed effort flashed wide of the near post.

With one minute of normal time to go before the break, Gavin Gunning tried to break the deadlock from a free-kick but his powerful effort was comfortably saved by Ross.

After three minutes of added time however, it was Barnet who opened the scoring as Nicholls was given the ball from a throw-in on the left and he drove forward, fired at goal, and found the net with a low shot into the bottom corner.

As the second-half got underway, Forest Green began searching for an equaliser but Reuben Reid’s 47th minute effort from the edge of the area hit his strike partner Doidge and bounced behind for a goal kick.

Just after the hour mark, Reid had another chance to fire at goal after demonstrating his strength but this time his effort flew over the bar.

Less than 10 minutes from time Grubb had another chance to fire at goal but once again he was off target, this time curling an effort high into the FGR fans.

The visitors’ final chance of normal time came via the head of defender Rawson as he tried to direct Chris Clements’ cross goalwards but his header was blocked and easily gathered by Ross in goal.

Report: Noah Dougherty

Image: Shane Healey/Pro Sports Images


Next Match
Last Match
League Table

v Brimscombe & Thrupp (A)

06/07/2018 7:30 pm

Pre-Season Friendly

v Grimsby (H)

Grimsby Town

05/05/2018 3:00 pm

League Two

Match Report
Pos Club P GD PT
13 Crewe 0 0 0
14 Exeter 0 0 0
15 Forest Green 0 0 0
16 Grimsby 0 0 0
17 Lincoln City 0 0 0
Last updated: Thu 21 Jun 2018 10:38 am

Vital Statistics

Date 07/04/2018 3:00 pm
Competition League Two
Home/Away Away
Full Time Result 1 - 0
Half Time Score 1 - 0
Man of the Match
Referee Nicholas Kinseley

Team Sheet

Forest Green Rovers