Home / Games / Match Reports / First Team / 2017/18 / Accrington Stanley Away

Accrington Stanley
Accrington Stanley
Forest Green Rovers
Forest Green Rovers
Date: 17/03/2018 3:00 pm    Attendance: 2313    Venue: Store First Stadium

Match Report: Rovers fall at leaders Accrington

Tahvon Campbell

Mark Cooper’s 100th game ends in defeat at table-toppers Accrington

Despite Reuben Reid’s second half strike, goals from Callum Johnson, Jordan Clark and Kayden Jackson sealed the win for the hosts.

On his 100th game in charge, Mark Cooper made two changes to the side that lost at home to Notts County a week ago as Charlie Cooper came in to replace the injured Dale Bennett and Tahvon Campbell, who found the net last time out, came in to replace Dayle Grubb.

With a strong wind swirling around the pitch, there was always going to be goals and after just three minutes, Accrington Stanley took the lead as a free-kick was delivered from the right and, following a melee in the box, the ball was prodded home by Johnson to give the league-leaders the advantage.

FGR then went close themselves after eight minutes as Dan Wishart showed good feet down the left before firing at goal but his deflected effort only ended up in the grateful arms of Aaron Chapman.

Isaiah Osbourne had a chance to equalise after 22 but minutes flew over the bar from the edge of the area.

Forest Green felt they should have had a penalty after half an hour as Chris Clements’ corner found Gavin Gunning whose shot appeared to have been blocked by the arm of the Stanley defender but the referee waved play on.

The second half got underway in an unusual way as Accrington, now with the wind behind them, fired at goal from kick-off but the effort was saved comfortably by Collins.

As the second half progressed, Forest Green were clearly pushing for an equaliser and after a good spell of football, they found it. Some more good work from Wishart down the left forced a corner for FGR and although the ball in couldn’t create a shot, Gavin Gunning fired the ball back across the goal for Reid to tap home.

Forest Green kept pushing forward but in the end it wouldn’t be their day as with just under 10 minutes to play, Clark raced down the left and slotted past Collins to consolidate the hosts’ position at the top of the league.

The hosts then secured their lead in stoppage time as Jackson raced through and lofted the ball over the on-rushing Collins.

Report: Noah Dougherty

Image: Shane Healey/Pro Sports Images


Next Match
Last Match
League Table

v Brimscombe & Thrupp (A)

06/07/2018 7:30 pm

Pre-Season Friendly

v Grimsby (H)

Grimsby Town

05/05/2018 3:00 pm

League Two

Match Report
Pos Club P GD PT
13 Crewe 0 0 0
14 Exeter 0 0 0
15 Forest Green 0 0 0
16 Grimsby 0 0 0
17 Lincoln City 0 0 0
Last updated: Thu 21 Jun 2018 10:38 am

Vital Statistics

Date 17/03/2018 3:00 pm
Competition League Two
Home/Away Away
Full Time Result 3 - 1
Half Time Score 1 - 0
Man of the Match
Scorers Reuben Reid
Referee David Webb

Team Sheet

Forest Green Rovers
Accrington Stanley