Home / Games / Match Reports / First Team / 2016/17 / Guiseley Away

Guiseley AFC
Forest Green Rovers
Forest Green Rovers
Date: 08/04/2017 3:00 pm    Attendance: 760    Venue: Nethermoor Park

Doidge header helps FGR to Guiseley win

Guiseley Away

A first half header from Christian Doidge helped Forest Green return to winning ways on a tough outing at Guiseley, writes Richard Joyce.

The forward notched with a well taken header to help Rovers return to winning ways after their first back-to-back defeats of the season in the past fortnight.

Guiseley were reduced to ten men early in the second half after Jake Cassidy was given his marching orders, but Mark Cooper’s men still had to produce a robust showing to keep out the in form Lions.

It was a lively opening 20 minutes with both sides doing well to create opportunities. Shamir Mullings saw a shot deflected wide and Omar Bugiel powered over, while Kevan Hurst forced Sam Russell into action with a save from the Mansfield loan man’s header.

Doidge almost came close to breaking the deadlock as he attempted to latch onto Mullings’ cross-come-shot, and Jonny Maxted did well to block Bugiel’s powerful hit.

Russell was kept on his toes at the midpoint of the half to deny Will Hatfield. The Guiseley central midfielder produced a good shot after Derek Asamoah had done well to square the ball.

Another pull back from the left hand side from the hosts saw Cassidy blast over after making a good connection with the ball shortly before FGR scored the goal that would see them go ahead.

Charlie Cooper shipped an excellent ball to Dan Wishart whose header across goal at the back post was met expertly by Doidge to glance the ball into the back of the net.

It was advantage Forest Green and following a quiet period after the goal near the end of the half Cooper’s free kick and Mullings shot over the bar were minor opportunities in a pleasing opening 45 minutes.

After half time Guiseley’s task was made even harder when they were reduced to ten men. Cassidy was adjudged to have elbowed Mark Ellis shortly after the break, and he was ordered off by referee Joseph Johnson.

FGR chased the cushion of a second goal and Bugiel went close with good openings shortly after the hour mark, while Hatfield’s strong shot that flew just wide proved the threat Guiseley still possessed despite their one man disadvantage.

It was a good battle in the second half but chances were limited. Substitute Fabien Robert’s long distance effort went over after the ball dropped to the former Lorient man, and Doidge saw a difficult headed chance saved by Maxted.

Michael Rankine’s late free kick failed to threaten the equaliser Guiseley were looking for as the hosts looked to run out of opportunities.

There was one big late chance for FGR at the death in stoppage time that Cooper couldn’t take advantage of.

The Birmingham City loanee was slipped in on the right by Robert, but could only power off target with the goal gaping.

Report: Richard Joyce

Photo: Shane Healey/Pro Sports Images 


Next Match
Last Match
League Table

v Mansfield (H)


24/03/2018 3:00 pm

League Two

v Crewe (A)

Crewe Alexandra

20/03/2018 7:45 pm

League Two

Match Report
Pos Club P GD PT
19 Crewe 38 -15 40
20 Port Vale 38 -13 38
21 Forest Green 38 -22 37
22 Grimsby 38 -25 37
23 Chesterfield 36 -28 31
Last updated: Wed 21 Mar 2018 21:59 pm

Vital Statistics

Date 08/04/2017 3:00 pm
Competition Vanarama National League
Home/Away Away
Full Time Result 0 - 1
Half Time Score 0 - 1
Man of the Match Dale Bennett
Scorers Christian Doidge
Referee Joseph Johnson (Liverpool)

Team Sheet

Forest Green Rovers