Home / Games / Match Reports / First Team / 2016/17 / Dag & Red Home

Forest Green Rovers
Forest Green Rovers
Dag & Red
Dag & Red
Date: 07/05/2017 3:00 pm    Attendance: 3237    Venue: The New Lawn

Doidge and Marsh-Brown score the goals to send Forest Green Rovers back to Wembley

Dag & Red Home

Forest Green Rovers are on their way back to Wembley after victory over Dagenham & Redbridge sealed the club’s place in the National League promotion final, writes Richard Joyce.

Already level from the first leg at Dagenham on Thursday, first half goals from Christian Doidge and Keanu Marsh-Brown earned Rovers their opportunity on the biggest stage again this season.

Mark Cooper’s men will now take on Tranmere Rovers for a one-off shot at earning promotion into the Football League. Doidge and Marsh-Brown’s strikes proved enough to overcome the Daggers in front of a crowd of over 3,200 at The New Lawn.

Earlier, it was actually the hosts who looked threatening despite not dominating possession early on, as Fejiri Okenabirhie and Jordan Maguire-Drew both produced decent efforts on goal.

But Forest Green began to develop the controlled side of their game with a number of chances, and Doidge and Mark Ellis were both presented with chances in front of the Dagenham goal.

The goal Rovers needed to take the lead on aggregate finally came ten minutes before half time.

A well picked out long ball down the right from Ellis was brilliantly seized upon by Kaiyne Woolery, and the Wigan Athletic loanee kept his cool to feed Doidge to power in a strong right footed finish at the near post against his former club.

The pursuit for a second goal to create some daylight between the two teams would come at a perfect point at the start of first half stoppage time.

Yet again for FGR on the biggest stage it was that man Marsh-Brown who came up with the goods, as he curled in with the benefit of a deflection on his right foot from the left after the outstanding Ethan Pinnock had teed him up.

The two goal lead put Forest Green into a fine position at the break and in the tie, and after overcoming a couple of Dagenham scares at the start of the second half, Rovers looked to increase their lead when Liam Noble put Marsh-Brown through on 65 minutes, only for his shot to be turned behind.

Dagenham pushed on in an attempt to try and get a goal back. Luke Guttridge headed over Luke Howell’s cross, while last ditch defending kept the Londoners at bay in the last ten minutes.

FGR managed to fend off their attacking approach successfully, and after substitute Oliver Hawkins headed wide for the visitors, it was Rovers who almost snatched a third goal in the depths of stoppage time.

Shamir Mullings fantastic through ball fell into the path of Woolery, and his finish came within inches of finding the net, as it took a deflection on the way through to hitting the post.

The first half goals Forest Green had accumulated were more than enough though to secure a second trip to Wembley in two seasons, and Rovers will now head to the capital next Sunday seeking another memorable milestone in the club’s long 128 year history.

Report: Richard Joyce

Photo: Shane Healey/Pro Sports Images


Next Match
Last Match
League Table

v Brimscombe & Thrupp (A)

06/07/2018 7:30 pm

Pre-Season Friendly

v Grimsby (H)

Grimsby Town

05/05/2018 3:00 pm

League Two

Match Report
Pos Club P GD PT
13 Crewe 0 0 0
14 Exeter 0 0 0
15 Forest Green 0 0 0
16 Grimsby 0 0 0
17 Lincoln City 0 0 0
Last updated: Thu 21 Jun 2018 10:38 am

Vital Statistics

Date 07/05/2017 3:00 pm
Competition Vanarama National League
Home/Away Home
Full Time Result 2 - 0
Half Time Score 2 - 0
Man of the Match Drissa Traore
Scorers Keanu Marsh-Brown
Christian Doidge
Referee Martin Coy (Durham

Team Sheet

Forest Green Rovers
Dag & Red