Home / Games / Match Reports / First Team / 2011/12 / York City Home

Forest Green Rovers
Forest Green Rovers
York City
York City
Date: 26/11/2011 3:00 pm    Attendance: 1157    Venue: The New Lawn

Dramatic leveller hands Rovers a point

York City Home

JAMES Norwood hammered home a dramatic late equaliser for Forest Green to continue their five game unbeaten run under the watchful eye of French football star David Ginola, writes Richard Joyce.

Having secured four consecutive wins the visit of a tough York City side would prove to be another tough hurdle for Dave Hockaday's men to encounter but the boys in black and white illustrated their strength by coming from behind late on to snatch a point.

And in doing so impressed French great David Ginola, the former Newcastle United, Tottenham Hotspur and Paris Saint Germain star, who watched the game from the Western Thermal Stand as a special guest.

Former Rovers loanee Jon Challinor kept Jonathan Bond busy in the opening quarter of an hour as the on loan Watford shot stopper was required to make a routine save in the second minute and then saved again from Challinor after initially spilling his first strike.

York were a whisker away from taking the lead however on the quarter of an hour mark when poor defending led the highly involved Challinor to set up Ashley Chambers and the England C international struck his low effort against the post.

Rovers reaction was to hit the woodwork themselves when after good set up play, Yan Klukowski turned his man brilliantly and drilled a low effort which hammered off Michael Ingham's post.

There was time left however in an entertaining first half for York debutant Moses Ashikodi to attempt a speculative overhead kick which ended up flying over after Christian Smith had hoisted a ball in to the box.

The break saw Dave Hockaday re-introduce James Norwood following a month out of action in place of Charlie Griffin but it was young midfield man James Rowe who had the hosts first effort of the second half when he made Ingham produce a low save to his right.

Kieron Forbes then fired wide from the edge of the box following good work by Rowe and Klukowski again came close to finding the back of the net when his header fell just wide from a narrow Norwood cross.

The 80th minute brought York the perfect opportunity to return home with all three points when substitute Jamie Reed was fouled in the box by Rovers defender Jamie Turley and the former Wrexham man brushed himself off to convert the subsequent spot kick - threatening to end Rovers fantastic unbeaten run.

The home side threw everything at York hoping to find a late leveller and they almost found it at the start of the stoppage time when substitute Michael Uwezu crossed for Matty Taylor to head towards goal.

The equaliser Rovers were searching for was secured in dramatic fashion with just seconds left ticking on referee John Hopkin's watch.

Taylor brilliantly chased a long ball down which he picked up on the byline and his shot was parried by Ingham in to the six yard area where the surging Norwood rammed home to ensure Rovers retained their unbeaten status and to hand Rovers a useful point.


Next Match
Last Match
League Table

v Morecambe (H)


28/10/2017 3:00 pm

League Two

v Stevenage (A)


21/10/2017 3:00 pm

League Two

Match Report
Pos Club P GD PT
21 Port Vale 15 -4 14
22 Morecambe 15 -8 14
23 Forest Green 15 -18 12
24 Chesterfield 15 -16 8
Last updated: Sat 21 Oct 2017 17:10 pm

Vital Statistics

Date 26/11/2011 3:00 pm
Competition Blue Square Bet Premier
Home/Away Home
Full Time Result 1 - 1
Half Time Score 0 - 0
Man of the Match Eddie Oshodi
Scorers James Norwood
Referee John Hopkins (Essex FA)

Team Sheet

Forest Green Rovers
York City